2020 data and tools
The estimated dates of release for these resources are a few months broad due to the uncertainly of the Census Bureau's own release schedule at this time. The earlier side of the estimate is based on the Bureau's original schedule, and the later end of the estimate is based on the extra time they have requested from Congress due to pandemic-related delays. Once Congress approves (or disallows) the extension, we will narrow down our own publication schedule, below, accordingly.
- Correctional Facility Locator (2020) Annotations and correctional facility counts by block, searchable by county. (Coming August 2021, shortly after the PL94-171 data is released.)
- National point shapefile with the group quarters (including correctional facilities) population and a links to our database of facility name/type annotations and racial/ethnic/sex/age data. (Available shortly after the PL94-171 data is released in September 2021.)
- Our database of annotations of each block that contains a correctional facility and the demographic breakdown of each will be accessible at the URL https://www.prisonersofthecensus.org/data/2020blocks/$geoid/ where $geoid is the 15 digit state-county-tract-code of a block with a correctional facility. (This will be available available shortly after the PL94-171 data is released in September 2021. Facility names and types for most facilities should be available within a few days of release, other information may take a few weeks or more. We intend to chart our progress on this page starting in September 2021.)
The populations and addresses of all state, federal and local correctional facilities from other sources on the most recent available date to the 2020 Census.
- A county locator tool (enter a city or town and we'll tell you what states/counties contain that city or town).
- The Census Bureau is giving special access to states to use its geocoder for mapping large batches of addresses to Census geographies. (The Census Bureau's geocoder tool is available for anyone to use to find the corresponding Census geography for a specific address.)
2010 data and tools
2000 data and tools