I need your help.
Prison gerrymandering gives extra political power to legislators who have prisons in their districts. We put numbers on the problem and sparked a movement to protect our democratic process from the overgrown prison system.
Can you help us continue the fight? Thank you.
—Peter Wagner, Executive DirectorDonate
U.S. Census Bureau
Election and socio-economic research and mapping
- Fairdata.com Community-based mapping and data solutions for education, environment, housing, and poverty-related issues:
- Social Explorer interactive Census mapping
Historical Census Data:
Background reading on the Census and Redistricting:
- Measuring America: The Decennial Censuses From 1790 to 2000 by Census Bureau, April, 2002
- Census Q & A from the Center for Voting and Democracy (very short)
- Redistricting Roulette from the Center for Voting and Democracy. Interactive explanation of how subtle differences in drawing the lines between political districts can radically affect the outcome of elections.
- Everything you always wanted to know about redistricting* (*But were afraid to ask!) [PDF] by ACLU, April 2001, 33 pages in question and answer format
- The Impact of Redistricting in Your Community: A Guide to Redistricting, [PDF] by Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and Educational Fund, Inc., and the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium. 90 pages
Redistricting resources from the National Conference of State Legislators:
Other pages about redistricting:
- Redistricting in America, A State-by-State Analysis by the Rose Institute provides a comprehensive and up-to-date survey of legislative and congressional redistricting systems in each of the 50 states. "Redistricting in America" offers a behind-the-scenes look at the complex and ever-changing world of redistricting.
- Understanding Redistricting from WXXI in Rochester NY. Has explanations and links to other mapping and database resources.
- VoteLaw from Edward Still. "the intersection of political and law: redistricting campaign finance, the right to vote, election law administration and politicans in trouble.
- ElectionLaw Blog from Professor Rick Hasen. "The law of politics and the politics of law: election law, the California recall, campaign finance, legislation, voting rights, initiatives, redistricting"
Prison data of a Census 2000 vintage: