Articles by Mike Wessler
- A mid-decade opportunity to end prison gerrymandering in Michigan and Wisconsin
Courts in Michigan and Wisconsin have stuck down their legislative maps, providing a rare mid-decade opportunity to immediately end prison gerrymandering.
Jan 17, 2024
- Making the grade: New report grades states on their 2020 redistricting processes — including whether they ended prison gerrymandering
Report highlights growing bipartisan support for counting incarcerated people in their home communities.
Nov 9, 2023
- Maine becomes the latest state to end prison gerrymandering
New law, sponsored by Speaker of the House Rachel Talbot Ross, ensures people in state prison are counted for redistricting at the same place they vote.
Jul 5, 2023
- With unanimous, bipartisan support, Montana ends prison gerrymandering
State asks Census Bureau to end this problem nationwide.
Feb 13, 2023
- New York Post editorial shows diversity of support for ending prison gerrymandering
Yet another paper urges Census Bureau to put the issue at the top of its list of changes.
Dec 6, 2022
- Washington ends prison gerrymandering in local government districts
New law builds on the previous measure that ended the practice in state legislative and congressional redistricting.
Mar 16, 2022
- Rhode Island becomes latest state to address prison gerrymandering
Gov. Dan McKee signed into law new legislative districts that count many incarcerated people in their home districts.
Feb 23, 2022
- Rhode Island takes a (small) step toward ending prison gerrymandering
Decision by redistricting commission means 44% of people incarcerated by the state will be counted in the right district
Jan 10, 2022
- For the first time ever, Tennessee counties can avoid prison gerrymandering
A change to state law frees counties to draw districts that truly represent the residents of their communities.
Nov 4, 2021
- One important action can help end local prison gerrymandering in Wisconsin
A confusing and outdated attorney general opinion has forced Wisconsin local governments into prison gerrymandering, but there is still time to fix this before districts are drawn for the next decade.
Oct 26, 2021
- Pennsylvania ending prison gerrymandering, Montana close behind
Pennsylvania and Montana poised to become first states to end prison gerrymandering without legislation, a solution the Prison Policy Initiative has recommended in other states as well. New Jersey expands its law to cover congressional and local districts.
Aug 31, 2021