Articles by Elena Lavarreda
- Not everything is bigger in Texas: How rural Texas counties with large prisons maintain fairness in democracy
County officials do not have the luxury of crafting specious arguments in favor of prison-based gerrymandering. They have to do the right thing.
Jun 2, 2010
- Don’t let the funding myth mislead Macon County
A rural TV station trips over a bad fact and misses a chance to praise its home county.
May 25, 2010
- Maryland papers highlight how rural Somerset County will benefit from prison count bill
Editorials and articles explain how the state's new counting method will improve democracy.
May 7, 2010
- What could be worse than suppressing someone’s right to vote?
Stealing their right to vote and attributing it to someone else, writes Daniel Loeb in The Philadelphia Jewish Voice.
May 3, 2010
- The Census and Democracy: Maryland Fixes a Major Error
Eric Lotke wrote an outstanding piece today highlighting our recent victory in Maryland and putting it in context of the national effort.
Apr 14, 2010
- WFCR’s Bob Paquette interviewed Director, Peter Wagner
Bob Paquette of WFCR Amherst, MA recently conducted a compelling interview with Peter Wagner about the fast-approaching Census count, and the problem posed by counting....
Feb 18, 2010